rein15

What if I don’t have a control number on my my W-2

Bsch4477

You don’t need it to file a return. If you're trying to import your W-2 and you are asked for a Control Box D, and you don’t have one, select Skip import and manually enter your W-2. You won't be able to import using the 5 digit + space + 5 digit solution for e-filing.

rjs

The control number is not required. If you are entering your W-2 manually, and there is no control number on the W-2 form that you got from your employer, just leave the control number blank in TurboTax.

If you are trying to import your W-2 and it is requiring you to enter the control number, you would have to talk to your employer. Sometimes an employer tells TurboTax to require the control number for importing, but then doesn't put a control number on the W-2. The employer has to straighten out the error. But it would be faster and easier for you to just enter the W-2 manually instead of trying to get your employer to fix the problem.