Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What does "transfer return" mean? What does it do? How do I know if I'm supposed to click this button?

When I first open TurboTax, it lists my return from last year, and has a blue button next to it saying "Transfer Return".  There is no explanation of what this means.  What does it mean?  What does it do?  How can I tell if I'm supposed to click this button or not?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

What does "transfer return" mean? What does it do? How do I know if I'm supposed to click this button?

It transfers information from your prior year return.  It would, for example, show W-2s received last year but not he amounts because you need to update those.  It would transfer all your personal information, which you should verify is still correct.  It basically just saves you some typing.  It's not a requirement, but you can only do it when you're first starting the new return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anita01

It transfers information from your prior year return.  It would, for example, show W-2s received last year but not he amounts because you need to update those.  It would transfer all your personal information, which you should verify is still correct.  It basically just saves you some typing.  It's not a requirement, but you can only do it when you're first starting the new return.

So you need to fix TurboTax to provide this explanation when one hovers one's mouse over "Transfer Return". Otherwise one will not remember what this means from year to year.
Anita01

I'll pass on your suggestion.  Thanks

Looks like there is no documentation for 2021 tax return software as well. No explanation and highly confusing!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies