turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I do if an employer wont send me a 1099 for independent contract work I did for them last year? And how do I go about getting their EIN?

I did some independent contract work for someone last year, but thy refuse to send me my 1099 so I can file my taxes. I have kept record of all the money I made from them, so the only real piece of information I need from the 1099 is their Employee Identification Number. How do I go about getting this without the 1099?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

What do I do if an employer wont send me a 1099 for independent contract work I did for them last year? And how do I go about getting their EIN?

You can report self-employment income without Form 1099-MISC.

When you reach the screen with the image of a 1099-MISC that asks if you received this form, say "No" and continue. The program will give you a place to record all income received that was not reported on 1099-MISC.

This is totally acceptable to the IRS. The burden to report on Form 1099-MISC lies with the payer, not the contract worker.

The easiest way to get to this screen is to use the Search box for "1099-misc" and click on the "jump to" link.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies