What do I do if an employer wont send me a 1099 for independent contract work I did for them last year? And how do I go about getting their EIN?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rvaughn720

What do I do if an employer wont send me a 1099 for independent contract work I did for them last year? And how do I go about getting their EIN?

I did some independent contract work for someone last year, but thy refuse to send me my 1099 so I can file my taxes. I have kept record of all the money I made from them, so the only real piece of information I need from the 1099 is their Employee Identification Number. How do I go about getting this without the 1099?
1 Reply
PatriciaV
Level 7

You can report self-employment income without Form 1099-MISC.

When you reach the screen with the image of a 1099-MISC that asks if you received this form, say "No" and continue. The program will give you a place to record all income received that was not reported on 1099-MISC.

This is totally acceptable to the IRS. The burden to report on Form 1099-MISC lies with the payer, not the contract worker.

The easiest way to get to this screen is to use the Search box for "1099-misc" and click on the "jump to" link.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings