turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wally8313

I did my taxes for 2017 on turbo tax and I printed out stubs to pay 2018 taxes through out the year. Will I get charged again for the 2018 year if I use turbo tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I did my taxes for 2017 on turbo tax and I printed out stubs to pay 2018 taxes through out the year. Will I get charged again for the 2018 year if I use turbo tax?

Do you see this screen?

View solution in original post

20 Replies
HelenaC

If that is not the correct answer, please restate your question in the comment section and I'll try to answer it.
wally8313

Sorry.....looks like my question did not finish. Let me restate. I know that did not make sense, what I meant was I payed 2017 taxes and then printed the 502 dep stubs to pay ahead for the coming 2018 year.....I paid $182 through out 2018. So the question should have been....if I over paid would state taxes catch it and see that I paid ahead for 2018 year and then I wouldn't be charged for state because I paid 2017 and 2018?
HelenaC

Hello. I edited my answer. Yes, definitely they'll catch it and yes you'll get credit for it. Let me know if I answered your question. If I didn't, please give me some more details. Thank you!
wally8313

Thank you....I guess I will go ahead and pay it again for now only because it is hard to go up against the state. You answered great and I appreciate it! Wondering if when I do pay if I should just let the state of md bill me instead of paying electronically? What do you think?

You didn't enter the estimated payments into your tax return?  Did you check your return and see if they are included?
wally8313

Well I didn't submit the ones I am working on for 2018.....have not put them through yet. I filled everything out correctly and did not want to submit yet......but an expert checked and everything is good to go.

If you haven't filed yet then enter the payments you made.  Or did you?

You can type estimates paid in the search box at the top of your return and click Find and it will give you a link to Jump To it.

OR
To enter Federal or State Estimated Taxes Paid, including a state estimated payment made in January for the prior year, go to
Federal on left or at top
Deductions and Credits at top
Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
Estimated Taxes - click the Start or Update button

You enter state estimated payments under the federal side (because they can be a federal itemized Deduction).  THEN after you finish filling out the estimates under Federal you need to click on the State Tab at the top and start the state return over for it to update.

Be sure to pick the right state from the drop down box.
wally8313

No I didn't put it through as of yet and no I didn't know you could put your estimated payment info down so I will do that.....thanks for that information! But so you put it through the federal because it gets transferred over to state anyway correct?

Yes you enter it under the federal Deductions & Credits.  Then start State over to update state.  
wally8313

K.....thanks so much I appreciate that!

Let me know if you can get back into your return and add the payments.
wally8313

I will.....this is why I didn't submit the tax forms yet. But I will let you know.....thanks!
wally8313

Also I see where you put the info but not sure where to edit. I see paid 2018 with extension but that wasn't an extension it was just kind of pre paying 2018 taxes so which option do I pick?
wally8313

They have different payment options which I really do not see any that may apply to me. When I pre paid for this year's taxes you think they would have an option like pre payment of 2018 taxes with stubs 502dep. Was it considered an extension?
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies