turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

m-paige14

Can I file separate on State and joint on federal? Weve both lived together the entire year last year, in KY.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I file separate on State and joint on federal? Weve both lived together the entire year last year, in KY.

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Yes. But it will cost you and you'll have to jump through a few hoops.Understand that with the line version of the program you can only file one return per account.
First, you prepare and file the federal joint return only with one online account, and you pay to file it.
Then you create another online account, prepare a federal "MARRIED FILNIG SEPARATE" return for one of the tax filers, and from that you create a state return for that tax filer and file the state return only. You will pay to file that state return too.
THen you create a third online account, prepare yet again another "MARRIED FILING SEPARATE" return for the other tax filer and rom that you create a state return for that tax filer and file the state return only. You will pay to file that state return too.
Additionally, you will have to purchase the state program in each account. So this will be costly for you.
m-paige14

We would have to pay in almost 200$ on state if we filed joint and we would get refunded that amount if we filed separate. But now that you put it that way, we will be out the same amount of money either way. Not worth the hassel and extra time and confusion. Thank you for your response!

It will be cheaper and easier to use the Desktop CD/Download program .  See this

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901214-how-do-i-prepare-a-joint-federal-return-and-separate-state...

maglib
Level 11

KY is one of the only states that allows this.  They actually allow Married filing Separately on the Combined Return where you use one KY form and it does normally give a bigger deduction than Married filing jointly due to greater standard deduction especially when one spouse has higher income vs. Married Filing Separately where you file 2 separate returns (if you choose the latter, you can purchase TT desktop version which allows you to file up to 5 returns and prepare unlimited number to mail in).  See page 7 https://revenue.ky.gov/Forms/2006_42A740S11.pdf

Please also note:
Kentucky does not recognize the federal injured spouse form. Income tax refunds may be withheld by the department if you owe money to the Kentucky Department of Revenue, another state agency or the Internal Revenue Service.Kentucky law requires the offset of the entire refund if a joint return is filed. If spouses want to keep their tax liabilities and/or refunds separate, each must file a separate tax form. If you choose to file separately on a combined return, for agencies other than the Department of Revenue, the refund will be apportioned between spouses, based on each spouse’s income. The indebted spouse’s refund will then be paid to the appropriate agency.
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies