turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tony8

When will i be able to change from freedom to premier turbotax?

I tried to file a couple weeks back and the system said I don't qualify for freedom. I know I want Premier but I cant switch to it even after I clear and start al over. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

We've asked TurboTax to clarify that process of switching when not qualified and hopefully they are creating a FAQ, but it's not been forthcoming yet.  You'll likely have to start a new account (User ID).

If you cleared and started over, however, and used the same User ID, that won't work.  It remembers that your User ID is connected to Freedom Edition.

The IRS requires Freedom Edition to have its own account/User ID separate from regular TurboTax.    However, some users who aren't qualified when they go through the FILE section are apparently offered a move to Deluxe Edition, possibly retaining their entered info.  Then they could later upgrade to Premier, etc.

But if you have cleared your return, then in order to use one of the regular TurboTax Editions, you will need to have a different account (different User ID.)

Have you ever had a regular TurboTax account before?   If so, you can use that one.  If you don't know the User ID, we can help you find it so you can use your previous TurboTax User ID.

In any case, clean your browser up so it won't remember Freedom Edition.  Log out of all TurboTax accounts including this user forum.   Then empty your browser Internet cache, delete any Intuit-related cookies, then close the browser and reopen it.

Then go to this page to start the selection process for an online product.  If you don't have a previous account (User ID), it will take you eventually to a "create your account" page.   Do NOT use your Freedom account user ID, or it will likely put you back in Freedom Edition.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

EDITED:  Also see my next comment below about the desktop edition, which is another possibility and might be cheaper.

Addendum:
Since you said you had tried to clear and start over, I didn't mention this alternative.   But I'll go ahead and mention it here.

Another option if one has finished a return in Freedom Edition and can't finish there and wants to switch, but doesn't want to have to start over, is to download the *.tax2017 data file and finish and file it in the desktop product (CD/download).   That would obviate the need to start over.

If you already cleared and started over, however, that won't help you any, but it could be a cheaper approach since some of the desktop editions also include a state program (which is an additional 39.99 in the online version).     There is, however, a 24.99 fee to efile a state return in the desktop editions, but no efile fee for New York state.  There is no fee to print and mail the state return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies