Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

my22
Level 2

We live in CA and want to file Married File Separate (MFS). Husband and wife both have W2s. The TurboTax cannot handle all the W2s correctly.

I have my W2 X, and my spouse W2 Y. I know how to get the correct number, but don't know how to guide the TT to generate the correct forms. 
1. I fill the W2 X with 50% box 1 and 50% box 2 (Fed income and tax withhold),  50% box 16 and 50% box 17 (CA income and tax withhold). And fill all other fields as the original W2 X.
2. I fill the W2 Y with 50% box 1 and 50% box 2 (Fed income and tax withhold),  50% box 16 and 50% box 17 (CA income and tax withhold). And fill all other fields as BLANK.
3. I manually fill out  form 8959 (TT cannot generate correct form 8959)
At this point, all the tax numbers will be correct.
But, in CA Tax Return, TT generates "Schedule W2" or so called "Wages and Tax Statement". It puts both W2 X and Y I filled with my SSN. 
I want to attach the original W2 forms, and not include TT's incorrect Schedule W2.

Or anyone has any advice how to use TT to file MFS in CA? The goal is to split income and tax withhold 50% / 50%  distribute to husband and wife. 
I tried to use the TT's advice to "adjust income" and it doesn't work.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies