turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We have international cell phone numbers and when I try to enter it in there is not enough room for all the numbers even without the country code

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ToddL

We have international cell phone numbers and when I try to enter it in there is not enough room for all the numbers even without the country code

You can only enter a U.S. phone number in this field  (Contact Phone under Personal Interview). It will not accept an international phone number.

The IRS asks for this phone number in case they want to contact you about your return (very uncommon). Even if you entered an international number on a paper return, the IRS would not call it - they will only use U.S. numbers.

If leaving this field blank prevents you from efiling, you can either enter a working U.S. number you are associated with (e.g. a relative's phone number), a working dummy number (e.g. 800-555-1212 - Toll-free directory assistance), or enter an obviously non-working number (e.g. 888-888-8888). 

ghoshsp
Returning Member

I tried using [phone number removed], the problem is still there!  I wonder why are you guys not resolving this issue when so many of us are facing the problem!!

It is not that you are doing this for free!  I have already paid $140 of maybe a little more but when it comes to      e-filing, I having problems and I do not see any help coming from your side!!!  This is extremely bad business and I regret that I have been using your product for so many years!!!

I am in India and like everyone else under lockdown! I am using a very valid US number (my daughter's)               [phone number removed] in my personal Info and it did work last year but NOT this year!!!

Please help or refund my money!!

Thanks,

Shankari P

@ghoshsp  wrote:  " I having problems and I do not see any help coming from your side!!!"

This is the first posting that I see from you in this user community forum, at least under that profile name.

This is a public Internet forum.  For your privacy and security, you should not post any personal information such as phone numbers here in this public forum.  Luckily, it looks like the forum privacy filter has automatically removed them (from what I can tell.)

You didn't say what error you are getting, so I'll have to guess.  Is it this?

601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number.

If you have a phone number listed in your Intuit Account settings, then you must make sure you use a valid 10-digit USA phone number in both your Intuit Account settings and in your return My Info section.

If that's the error you are getting, see if this FAQ helps:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/why-am-i-getting-601errv-5-custhdr-17...

Also dee this answer by TurboTax DawnC in the thread linked below, who says not to use a number like Google Voice, Skype, etc.  in the Intuit Account settings, at least not until after you successfully efile.   She also says it might be possible to leave the phone number blank in the Intuit Account settings.   You can put the problem USA phone number back in your Intuit Account settings later.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-i-try-efile-but-i-get-message-invalid-sms-numb...

Also see this other thread with other out-of-country users with that particular error message, who were able to correct the error.  If you have trouble, post there and they can probably help you.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/my-federal-e-file-is-not-going-through-i-m-given-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies