Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Waiting on forms

So I lost my job last year, and couldn't collect unemployment so I cleaned out my retirement fund from that employer. I paid the early withdrawal fee and taxes. My question is, do I need to have the form before I file my taxes? For some reason in 2020 it's not available electronically I have to wait for it to be mailed. I just spoke with someone and they stated it wasn't ready and they have until the end of the month to get it to many. I need to file as soon as possible to try to get my refund as soon as  possible because I'm still unemployed despite applying to every position I can. Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Waiting on forms

Sorry--do not file your return until you have ALL of your documents.  You need that 1099R to enter on your tax return.  And the IRS is not going to start accepting and processing returns until January 27, so you do have time.  Filing now will not result in an early refund.

WAIT for all of your documents or you risk having your return rejected and having to fix it, or worse yet, having it accepted with mistakes/missing information that requires you to amend it.  Amending a tax return takes about 4 months.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Waiting on forms

Sorry--do not file your return until you have ALL of your documents.  You need that 1099R to enter on your tax return.  And the IRS is not going to start accepting and processing returns until January 27, so you do have time.  Filing now will not result in an early refund.

WAIT for all of your documents or you risk having your return rejected and having to fix it, or worse yet, having it accepted with mistakes/missing information that requires you to amend it.  Amending a tax return takes about 4 months.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Waiting on forms

Thank you for the quick reply. I will wait. Not patiently, but I will wait.😀

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies