Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

trih1000
Returning Member

W4 Tax Allowances

Hi, I just got my first paycheck ever and I was wondering if I filled my allowances correctly.

I work in Florida,  I make 70k a year and I claimed 3 allowances, because three people rely on me financially.

The people that rely on me is are my 13 year old sister, my 18 year old brother and my mom.  I was reading back through the tax allowances guide and got confused, can I claim more than three allowances?  Is it not a linear claim (1 allowance per person)? I'm the only one who brings in a steady income.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to take as many allowances as possible to support my family.  What is the max number of allowances can I claim?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

W4 Tax Allowances

Using 5 allowances would reduce the amount of federal income taxes per pay period.

When you used the IRS Withholding Estimator, at the end of the interview did you click on the button for getting close to $0 for a refund?  That would have given you the amount of allowances to claim going forward.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

W4 Tax Allowances

You can claim as many allowances as necessary.  Allowances are not the same as claiming dependents on a tax return.

Use the IRS Withholding Estimator - https://apps.irs.gov/app/tax-withholding-estimator

trih1000
Returning Member

W4 Tax Allowances

I've used this link quite a few times but it still doesn't make me know how much I should put for allowances?  IS 5 allowances good you think?

W4 Tax Allowances

Using 5 allowances would reduce the amount of federal income taxes per pay period.

When you used the IRS Withholding Estimator, at the end of the interview did you click on the button for getting close to $0 for a refund?  That would have given you the amount of allowances to claim going forward.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies