Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sandra4

W2 box 14 CA VPDI tax

Box 14 of my 2017 W2 shows "$1212.4" CA VPDI. When I was trying to efile both federal and state tax, it showed that the maximum SDI/VPDI withheld for 2017 is $998.12. It did not allow me to do the efiling. Since $1212.4 is what shown in the W2 box 14, what do i need to do in order to file the tax? thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

W2 box 14 CA VPDI tax

How do I get a refund of excess SDI?

The maximum SDI withholding tax for 2017 is $998.19 ($110,902 x .90%).

You may be entitled to claim a credit for excess SDI (or VPDI) only if you meet all of the following conditions:

• You had two or more employers during 2017.
  • You received more than $110,902 in wages.
  • The amounts of SDI (or VPDI) withheld appear on your Forms W-2.

You may claim the excess SDI or (VPDI), Form 540, or Long Form 540NR. You cannot claim the excess SDI (or VPDI) on Form 540 2EZ or Short Form 540NR. If you normally file Form 540 2EZ and are eligible to claim excess SDI (or VPDI) you should switch to Form 540 to claim the credit. Short Form 540NR filers must use Long Form 540NR to claim the credit.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/faq/ivr/227.shtml

If you ONLY had one employer then you must just enter the max 998 in the program and get the excess withheld from the employer. 

Sandra4

W2 box 14 CA VPDI tax

My question is not about to get credit back for excess CA VPDI. It is about how I can do efiling with current W2 Box 14 shows $1212.4. Turbtax won't allow me to efile federal and state return until i fixed box 14. But the current w2 box 14 do show 1212.4. how can i do to efile the tax?

W2 box 14 CA VPDI tax

Log in ... click on federal tab ... edit W-2 to make the change... complete the REVIEW tab ... complete the state interview again in the STATE tab ... then complete the FILE tab again to resubmit the return.
pirochu

W2 box 14 CA VPDI tax

Not so much about the mechanics of how to edit in the software, but adjust which code(s) so that it matches the max, in order to be able to e-file.

For example, my Box 14 has SDI line and VPDI line, both combined exceeds the Box 14 SDI/VPDI amount.  So, what's the correct way to adjust which/both code(s)/amount(s) to match the max limit, in order to be able to e-file?

The amount entered in TurboTax is of the actual amounts on W-2 Box-14, while TurboTax prevents it from e-filing. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies