gagnerml

w-4

I always pay thousands in Fed taxes each year. I am married filing jointly. My UGI is around 140,000. At the end of last year I modified my W-4 and it was a different look but I made some changes. My last three paychecks I had much lest taxes taken out which was not what I wanted.  Question on the W-4 form it has a box for a second job is this for me or my household?

OpeA1

w-4

Hello gagnerml!

The question about multiple jobs is for the entire household.  When you check the bos in Step 2, it mean more will be withheld.  This is because the "tax rates increase as income rises, and only one standard deduction can be claimed on each tax return, regardless of the number of jobs. Therefore, if you have more than one job at a time or are married filing jointly and both you and your spouse work, more money should usually be withheld from the combined pay for all the jobs than would be withheld if each job was considered by itself."

You can also use Step 4(C) to have more withholding. Here you put any additional tax you want withheld each pay period.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for using TurboTax Live!