Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jducker99
Returning Member

Using Windows ver of home and business. When i enter W2 for W-Employer contribution to Health Savings the app is applying a tax to the federal gov. It should be tax free

is there a reason its being taxed? on the IRS website shows this is tax free. How can this be correct. Its on my w2 so i should enter it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Using Windows ver of home and business. When i enter W2 for W-Employer contribution to Health Savings the app is applying a tax to the federal gov. It should be tax free

Keep going ... the contribution will be considered fully taxable until you complete the HSA section later in the Medical expenses section of the Deductions & Credits tab.   And if you took out any distributions the 1099-SA must also be entered.   

jducker99
Returning Member

ok thanks, i asked my employer if a 1099-SA was created.

Its not within the w2 assuming its stored someplace else if required

Fill out Form 8889 and your HSA contribution in box 12 code W should come off the Form 1040 as other income and should reflect no additional tax.

The 1099-SA comes from the HSA administrator not the employer.   See if they have it online ... log into your account. 

jducker99
Returning Member

ok thanks ill look that should help to look for it

Just started so no clue where things are stored

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies