Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Updates for turbotax 2020 will not install. Any suggestions?

mfreville
Returning Member

I purchased the intuit turbotax Home & Business CD and I get a message to install updater, but it will not install via CD or online.

mfreville
Returning Member

First time installation

mfreville
Returning Member

This is a new CD purchase. Never used it before.

mfreville
Returning Member

I installed the intuit turbotax Home & Business and I cannot get it to open.  It keeps asking if I want to install the updater, but the updater will not install.

I AM TRYING TO OPEN TURBO TAX AND AN UPDATE WINDOW POPS UP, I CLICK ON THE UPDATE AND GET A MESSAGE THAT THERE IS AN UPDATE ERROR WITH A NOTE TO CANCEL UPDATE BUT I STILL CANNOT OPEN THE PROGRAM

William Joseph Cornelius wrote:

I AM TRYING TO OPEN TURBO TAX AND AN UPDATE WINDOW POPS UP, I CLICK ON THE UPDATE AND GET A MESSAGE THAT THERE IS AN UPDATE ERROR WITH A NOTE TO CANCEL UPDATE BUT I STILL CANNOT OPEN THE PROGRAM

1. Was there an error number?
  2. What tax year's product?   Is this 2020 TurboTax?
  3. What edition--a personal product (e.g., Deluxe, Premier, Home and Business) or the dedicated Business Edition (corporations, partnerships, etc.)?
  4. If a personal edition, are you using the Mac version or the Windows version?  If latter, is your system Windows 8 or 10?
  5. Did you install from a CD or from a download installation file?
  6. Is this a new install?  i.e., is this the first time you launched and tried to run TurboTax after activating the license?  Or had you been opening and using it OK previously, and if so, was it updating OK previously?
KCBBQNo1

This is for TT 2020 version.  I saw another post that recommended uninstalling TT and then reinstalling.  I did that and it appears to have worked.  I was getting the same fatal error message when I attempted to update the original downloaded version.  I followed his advice and did not uninstall TT myself, but it will ask you if you want to uninstall the original TT version when you download or use the CD.  That is what I elected to do and it seems to have worked and it does not appear that I lost any of my previous work...  Good luck!

Mannert

I cannot access last years taxes. They are not highlighted. I have done this for years without a problem

Mannert

No previous Turbo Tax are highlighted

This is what I did for 2020. I uninstalled using the program CD and reinstalled the pgm. Then I was able to install updates and all went smooth.

I have used TT for 10+ years and b 4 that Intuit's ProSeries. TT has become unreliable, unresponsive and demonstrates a complete lack on interest in users.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

To clarify, are you unable to locate your tax data file on your computer? Or you don't see them in your online TurboTax account?

@Mannert

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Mannert

My 2020 tax return is easy to locate but it isn't highlighted which means when I click it nothing happens. I have used this feature for years without a problem.

This means that I have to reenter all 2020 data.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the help article: Troubleshoot transferring from a prior year return for assistance with transferring your return.

Are you transferring your tax return from a .tax file or a .pdf?

@Mannert

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

One thing you might try  is to open Turbotax 2020 and open your 2020 tax return.  Then save it under a new name in a location you can easily find (eg, desktop) using "save as".  Then close the TT 2020 version.  Open your 2021 version and look for the file where you saved it.  I assume you have downloaded versions of TT on your PC.  If not, then not sure what else to try. 

You can also run a search for files ".tax2020" on your harddrive.  It is possible that the file could be corrupted.  That sometimes happens on harddrives.  I always save another copy of my tax files in a different folder as well as on a backup drive.  Good luck.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies