Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

galljj
Returning Member

Updates for turbotax 2020 will not install. Any suggestions?

Just FYI as of 4/15 the most current version [phone number removed]

galljj
Returning Member

FWIW, I had to uninstall TT (it says it doesn't delete your tax info, but I made a copy in case), and then reinstall.  That worked fine.

j

Turbo tax was installed this year. Updates will not load.

Don't listen to all of the complicated stuff you will read.   Go to YouTube and search for MD Tech instructions for fixing Windows Installer.  You can search for 'fix Windows Installer' and choose the MD Tech video (the best one).

Watch video and follow directions.   Then you will probably found that the Intuit update is still running from your attempt to update.    Open Windows Task Manager and end the Intuit update.

This should fix your problem beautifully.    Don't spend hours with tech support; they didn't come close to a solution for me.   

cmuri12

I logged into TurboTax 2020 and hit the install updates button.  After 5 minutes, it told me it failed to install update, error 1603.  My tax return is complete but I can't access it without updating.  Help!

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You may need to call support as suggested earlier in this thread.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I had very much the same problem and seemingly found the fix (in my case). 

Installing and updating the TT CD went fine until I upgraded with the Home and Business download, had finished my taxes and was prompted to check and download updates during the review. Nothing but fatal error 1603 messages after that. The program wouldn't even open without trying to install updates first.

The Manual Update didn't help; running Win Systems File Checker showed there were no integrity violations (WIN was up to date); ran the program repair option in Control Panel - said it fixed TT but still no change; downloaded and ran .NET framework repair tool - said it repaired TurboTax and actually downloaded updates but again showed 1603 error messages during installation.

I planned on uninstalling/re-installing TT but decided to give it one more shot after disabling my firewall again and, low and behold, it updated and installed without any problem and opened TT again.

Enkidu556

Resolved?? Year after year I constantly have this update issue. So frustrating.  2020 is shaping up to me my last turbotax experience.  Not worth the grueling grind trying to use this clunky software install/update.

Getting microsoft error message 1603 during update. can not complete return I was working on

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Error 1603 is an error that can be resolved. 

For more information, see: Error 1603: "A fatal error occurred during installation or updating".

Click the link to check that your device meets minimum system requirements.

indio845

can not install updates. then can not review taxes and then can not file

Turning off my firewall(s) before updating solved it for me. After the updates are installed re-activate your firewall.

YouTube search for "fix Windows installer".  Choose the TD Tech video.

After following instructions, open Task Manager and delete any Intuit installs in progress; there is probably one handing out there from previous install attempts.  

Easy, peasy.

noble111

I Have tried everything nothing works

shgrohs

Really need the Turbo Tax 2020 to update.  Error 1603 Fatal Error  has occurred.  Help

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies