turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Legally separated va

I have been living separately from my (Legal) husband since June 30th, 2016 which means for more than half the year I have had my own household. There is no official "decree" in VA we are strictly married because we have to wait out the one year period. Can we file legally separted?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Legally separated va

Unlike other states, Virginia does not provide for a status of legal separation. Because legal separation is established by court order, this means that under IRS rules you are not legally separated. Unless you have dependent children or parents that allow you to file as head of household, you must file married filing separately.

For more information about separated couples, see https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Tax-Tips-for-Separated-Couples/INF22372.html.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Legally separated va

Unlike other states, Virginia does not provide for a status of legal separation. Because legal separation is established by court order, this means that under IRS rules you are not legally separated. Unless you have dependent children or parents that allow you to file as head of household, you must file married filing separately.

For more information about separated couples, see https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Tax-Tips-for-Separated-Couples/INF22372.html.

Legally separated va

Next question if we file married filing separately and we both have a separate dependent to claim can we both file head of household?
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Legally separated va

Yes, since you lived apart for more than six months of the year.
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Legally separated va

Note that you must be able to claim that you each paid more than half the cost of the respective dependent's living expenses.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies