ronm9418

I received a corrected 1099 MISC but the corrected box was not checked

I received a 1099 MISC from my rental management company that did not agree with my year end statement.  I questioned them and they issued another 1099 MISC with the correct amount but the corrected box was not checked.  I am concerned that the IRS will consider the second 1099 as an additional one and expect that I declare the sum of the two.

SusanH

Unfortunately, you will have to be the squeaky wheel. If they are actually submitting the forms to the IRS, then without the corrected box being checked, they just over-reported what they paid you. 

There are companies who issue the 1099-MISC's but never actually send the forms to the IRS. If this company has that type of lax accountability, it would explain why they didn't check the corrected box. If they state that they don't actually submit them to the IRS, I would get it, in writing, that the first 1099-MISC is voided.

SusanH

Mike8

I have the same issue. Is there a way to tell the company to completely void the first 1099-MISC? Or should I ask them to issue me a 3rd one with the "corrected" checkbox? Would that fix and cancel the other two?