Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My salary in 2016 changed after I had already chosen my health insurance plan. How do I mention that when filing my taxes?

A large deduction was taken from my estimated Federal Tax Return because I made more money than specified on my health plan. However, my salary changed several months after my health plan went into effect. Is there any way I can not have such a large deduction taken?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

My salary in 2016 changed after I had already chosen my health insurance plan. How do I mention that when filing my taxes?

Unfortunately, no.  The way the ACA works, you estimate your salary when you sign up, and based on that estimate you receive a certain amount in subsidy (those who qualify).  Then, at tax time, the estimate is compared to your actual salary received.  If the estimate was too low -- regardless of the reasons -- then you'll owe some or all of that subsidy back.  If the estimate was too high -- regardless off the reasons -- then you'll receive an additional credit amount on your tax return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

For the future, you are supposed to report income (and family size) changes immediately to the the Healthcare Marketplace so they can adjust your Advance credit that you are receiving.
ThomasM

Unfortunately, no.  The way the ACA works, you estimate your salary when you sign up, and based on that estimate you receive a certain amount in subsidy (those who qualify).  Then, at tax time, the estimate is compared to your actual salary received.  If the estimate was too low -- regardless of the reasons -- then you'll owe some or all of that subsidy back.  If the estimate was too high -- regardless off the reasons -- then you'll receive an additional credit amount on your tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies