Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CptReaper

Unemployment

I was told I wouldn’t have to make changes to my taxes. Yet I have never received a refund. Would you know why ? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Donna F 77
Employee Tax Expert

Unemployment

IRS is recalculating tax returns that included unemployment income prior to the law change.  It is possible that IRS has not processed your recalculation yet.  The information that IRS has provided states that they will be processing these recalculations throughout the summer.  You may want to view your transcript to see if it has possibly been processed, but not received yet.  Here's a link to set up an account to view your transcript:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Sunny_Tax_Expert
Employee Tax Expert

Unemployment

Hi CptReaper!

Knowing the difference between a supplemental refund and regular income tax refund is key to understanding your 2020 tax situation!

Those who paid taxes on 2020 unemployment benefits can expect a “supplemental” refund in September 2021.  The reason for this?  The first 10,200 of 2020 unemployment benefits (20,400 for married couples filing jointly), is considered nontaxable due to the American Rescue Plan passed in March!  This summer the IRS began making adjustments to 2020 filings and issuing refunds.  If you receive a supplemental refund it should be in addition to any regular tax refund you receive from your 2020 return, discussed below:

Alternatively, a tax refund is simply a return of withholding overpayment.  You can find this amount by reviewing line 35a of your 2020 form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies