SMLANZA

Unemployment Credit and refunds

I have searched this question and the answers I'm reading aren't quite clear.   Everyone is asking if they should file an amended return and all answers are no.

I filed federal and state in February.  Then, the unemployment exclusion credit was enacted on March 11th.  I received state, no problem (CA). 

The IRS "where's my refund" said still processing.  My understanding was the IRS was going to adjust the unemployment income ($10,200) to returns that had been filed, but not refunded, yet.

However, today (April 15), I found that the IRS refunded my return and DID NOT exclude the $10,200.  My refund was directly deposited.

My question is:  Is the IRS going to issue a second refund automatically?  And this is why I should not file an amended return?  Because my Turbo Tax program reflects that change now post filing.

Thank you

Unemployment Credit and refunds

Here is why you do NOT amend your return for unemployment:

Please read this very recent news from the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

ThomasM125

Unemployment Credit and refunds

@SMLANZA The IRS will send you an additional refund without you having to do anything further.

fanfare

Unemployment Credit and refunds

@SMLANZA 

If you try to amend for UEC with TurboTax you will get nothing.

Why?

A TurboTax update changed your return, and your original return is gone.

You can only amend against the original return that you filed.

Did you make a paper copy of the original return for your records?

In this situation, be glad the IRS is re-computing this for you.

SMLANZA

Unemployment Credit and refunds

Thanks smasbaby!