Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Two 1098Ts from different institutions, each claiming not half-time

I took classes at two different institutions during the same semester.   Since I only one class at each institution, neither 1098T says atlesat half time. Can I declare half time student?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

Since neither educational institution was able to certify you as being enrolled at least half-time, and even the two courses, if taken simultaneously, would probably not be a half-time course load, I don't think you can take a reasonable position as being a half-time student.

However, that only disqualifies you from taking the  American Opportunity Tax Credit. You are still eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit or the tuition and fees deduction.

For more information, click on either of the links above, or see IRS Education Benefits Comparison Chart.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

Since neither educational institution was able to certify you as being enrolled at least half-time, and even the two courses, if taken simultaneously, would probably not be a half-time course load, I don't think you can take a reasonable position as being a half-time student.

However, that only disqualifies you from taking the  American Opportunity Tax Credit. You are still eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit or the tuition and fees deduction.

For more information, click on either of the links above, or see IRS Education Benefits Comparison Chart.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies