Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax would not recognize my extension payment. Therefore, I had to override line 70 on form 1040 to put in extension payment. Why is that?

Originally, I entered my extension payment as described in the "community" answer.  However, this payment did not show up on Form 1040, line 70.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

Turbotax would not recognize my extension payment. Therefore, I had to override line 70 on form 1040 to put in extension payment. Why is that?

Where did it show Up?  On another line like line 64 or 65?  Better make sure it's not on one of those lines too.

It didn't show up on any of the lines in the payments section on page 2, Form 1040 (including lines 64 and 65).

lrbrown452:
I added additional info to my comment.  If you were emailed the original comment, please return to the forum to see the full info.

Your suggestion solved the problem.  Thanks for your help!

Good news!  You're welcome.  I'll move it to the Answer section.  Good luck.
lpaige67

how do you cancel the override on line 70 of the 1040

Desktop Windows software.  In "Forms Mode", Rt-click on the amount and there is a "Cancel Override" in the pop-up menu.

..probably something similar on a MAC but click on the $$ amount, then check the menus up top..maybe under Edit.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

First, cancel the override you entered on Line 70 of the 1040.

Then while in Forms Mode bring up the Tax Payments worksheet.  Does it show up on the Tax Payments worksheet on Line 9?    If not, then did you prepare  your Form 4868 in the desktop TurboTax?   In any case, while in Forms Mode you can also bring up the Form 4868 and look at the info there.  In the information box at the top of the Form 4868, is there a checkmark or no checkmark?  There has to be a checkmark for it to flow first to the Tax Payment worksheet, and then on to the Form 1040.

If that doesn't solve it, then instead of overriding,  it is better to enter the correct figure on the Tax Payments worksheet, Line 9.  It should allow you to make a manual entry or edit one there that will flow to the Form 1040, Line 70, and not require any override.    Then check your Form 1040, Line 70 and be sure all is well.
tntwoods

Thanks for the suggestion.  Firstly, I'm using 2017 Turbo Tax Premier though my account says otherwise.  Second, the only option that worked was updating the Tax Payments worksheet (Federal column) and then everything flowed through to line 70 on Form 1040.  Thanks again for the help...success.

tntwoods:
You're welcome.  I'm glad it worked.   In your other thread we didn't know that you were using desktop software.  We thought you were using online TurboTax.

Yes, entering it correctly on the Tax Payments Worksheet, Line 9 should get it to flow correctly.  Just be sure the figure is correct on the Form 1040, line 70.    Good luck.
lien_fong

The Turbotax message on form 4868 is very confusing as follows: A [] Check this box to freeze the amounts flowing to this form. Caution: Only when checkbox B is checked will the amount on line 7 flow to Form 1040, page 2.

Where is checkbox B? and why the payment with extension can not be deducted from the total tax?

@lien_fong Not sure what you are trying to do right now.   It is way too late to send in a request for an extension for your 2020 tax return.  The deadline for that was May 17, 2021.   If you did send in that form then make sure that you indicated on your tax return that you made an estimated payment of your 2020 tax due.

When you requested your extension you were supposed to pay your estimated tax due.  Did you enter the payment you made into your tax return?  Go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Estimates and Other Taxes Paid>Other Income Taxes 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies