turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax tax return crashes consistenly when opening File menu

I have 2023 tax return. After being almost finished with the return, TurboTax started crashing consistently:

- If I load the return and open File menu from the top menu bar, it crashes

- If I load the return and try to click View Imports in the return, it crashes.

I tried copying the tax return file to another Windows machine, installed TurboTax and it crashed in the same way. Seems like the return itself is a problem.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Are you still experiencing this problem?

Make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

If you still are not able to solve this, please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes. The problem is still there after updating TurboTax.

@Nomadito 

Check to see that all Windows OS updates are fully installed.  A new Windows update was issued in this last week or so, and partially-installed OS updates are known to cause TTX problems.

Check for them....finish the install and reboot windows.  (But, perhaps Reboot windows even of you don't see one).

It's worth an attempt

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thank you, updating Windows doesn't help. I tried on two different PCs, both are Windows 11.

It still crashes.

OK...I also have Windows 11, and Premier works OK there....at least for me.

Two things to try

1)  Easiest...shut down TTX, then download and run the "Manual Update".  (it takes longer than expected to install once you start it)...........  

Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (intuit.com)

Tougher route
2) Uninstall TTX entirely, then download a NEW TTX installation file and install that. The newest installation files contain many of the most recent bug fixes....you might still have to run an internal update once that has started though, as the installation file may be a step or two behind.

AND...Make sure you are installing in whatever default drive/directory that TTX want to be in...don't redirect to some other location.   Similar with your tax files...as long as they save into your main system hard disk, that should be OK.  Don't save directly to a cloud drive, or a USB-Connected disk/flash.  (Copy-Saves for backup to external drives are OK, just not a save directly from within the TTX software)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies