turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

twcroy

In the past my CPA filed my tax returns without using the SSN of a person renting a hangar from me. TurboTax requires the SSN. Why?

I think it's using the Schedule E worksheet and Asset worksheet and I think also a 1099-MISC worksheet. I'm not sure how else to report this rental income from the hangar (asset). I live in MI. Also this asset has no Form 4562 associated with it as my other residential property incomes do. It does, however, have a depreciation report (page 1) associated with the hangar (reported as categories: real estate/land improvement) Thank you again, in advance, for any assistance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

In the past my CPA filed my tax returns without using the SSN of a person renting a hangar from me. TurboTax requires the SSN. Why?

The IRS does this to help match your rental income to the renter's potential rental expense. They want to make sure you are reporting your income and the renter is claiming a legitimate rental expense deduction.

I'm not sure if missing the renter's SSN will cause a problem with your e-filing (let me know).

If you had to file by mail (or e-file), IRS may question their rental expense deduction,  but they won't question your report of rental income.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ToddL

The IRS does this to help match your rental income to the renter's potential rental expense. They want to make sure you are reporting your income and the renter is claiming a legitimate rental expense deduction.

I'm not sure if missing the renter's SSN will cause a problem with your e-filing (let me know).

If you had to file by mail (or e-file), IRS may question their rental expense deduction,  but they won't question your report of rental income.

twcroy

TurboTax let me complete the return and would always report it as a "fix" required by me, but when I try to e-file the return it won't let me without his SSN. Separately, I don't think I need to file a FL return also since I reported the income in my federal and MI returns, as well as filing the non-resident MD return. Please let me know if I need to mail in a FL return (they don't allow e-filing). Thank you for all of your help. It is greatly appreciated.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies