udaikumar26

Turbotax is not allowing me to enter NRA for my non resident spouse. without that i am not able to complete the health insurance section

DanielV01

There's a work-around.  When there is no Social Security Number provided on the return, the return is not eligible for e-filing.  This is the case for you here.  Since your spouse is an NRA (and you are filing Married Filing Separately), you are correct that "NRA" is what is entered into the space where it asks for her SSN/ITIN.  But since TurboTax cannot enter these letters into that space, you can enter a "dummy" SSN (such as 999-88-9999).  This will allow you to navigate through all of the screens, answer the health insurance questions, and finish the return.  

But do not e-file the return.  You will choose to mail in the return.  You will white out the dummy number, and handwrite NRA in any space that it occurs on the return.

DanielV01

udaikumar26

why should i pay turbotax if i have to mail in the return
DanielV01

Unfortunately, my answer is limited to how the law applies and how you can use TurboTax to prepare it.  When you prepare the return in TurboTax your accuracy is guaranteed and is backed up even when you must mail in the return.
Anmono

Hi,

Is it still possible to mail in with NRA instead of requesting an ITIN for tax year 2019?

@Anmono wrote:

Hi,

Yes, the NRA option is still available.

If you are a US citizen or US resident and your spouse does not have a Social Security number or an ITIN and you are not applying for an ITIN with the tax return then you can only file your tax return as Married Filing Separately.  Where asked to enter the spouse's Social Security number enter 999-88-9999.  You can only print and mail your tax return, it cannot be e-filed.  When you print the tax return erase the Social Security number for your spouse and manually enter NRA for non-resident alien.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the procedure to print and mail a tax return using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1944348-how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online