Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax incorrectly calculated my average mortgage balance on Form 1098 in 2022, causing a lower HMID. I re-entered the correct information but no change. How to fix?

A tax professional pointed out to me that my HMID seemed too low for 2022. 2022 was the year that we originated the mortgage, so the mortgage balance for the first ~5 months of the year was $0. This brings the average down quite a bit, and therefore should increase the HMID. So I went into TurboTax to try to amend my 2022 return. It had me re-enter the information from my Mortgage 1098 form, which includes interest paid, outstanding balance, and date of origination. I would assume this information is sufficient to calculate the correct HMID, as the origination date of in May 2022 should suggest that our mortgage balance was $0 before then, and therefore the *average* balance should be significantly lower than the full balance of the mortgage. However, this was the exact same information I entered when doing the original tax return, and therefore it does not lead to an increased refund. Turbox also doesn't seem to allow me to go in and manually increase my deduction. Any ideas on how I can fix this and file an amended return?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Turbotax incorrectly calculated my average mortgage balance on Form 1098 in 2022, causing a lower HMID. I re-entered the correct information but no change. How to fix?

You can't say you had a zero mortgage balance when you didn't have a mortgage. The Average Mortgage Balance is calculated only over the period of time that the mortgage was secured by your home. The mortgage was not secured by your home prior to when the mortgage was originated, so you cannot include the time prior to origination of the mortgage.

For details on how to calculate the home mortgage interest deduction see IRS Publication 936, Home Mortgage Interest Deduction (for 2022). The instructions for calculating the average mortgage balance are on page 12.

Thanks for the pointers! I read though the calculations on Page 12 and am a bit confused still. I think the relevant part is:

"Statements provided by your lender. If you receive monthly statements showing the closing
balance or the average balance for the month, you can use either to figure your average balance for the year. You can treat the balance as zero for any month the mortgage wasn't secured by your qualified home.
For each mortgage, figure your average balance by adding your monthly closing or average balances and dividing that total by the number of months the home secured by that mortgage was a qualified home during the year."

I don't totally follow what this means. How should I interpret the above in the context of months where I didn't have a mortgage?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You ignore months that you didn't have a mortgage. They don't enter into the calculation at all. You can't count them. You calculate the average balance only for the months that you did have a mortgage.

The section that you quoted from Publication 936 applies to using monthly statements from the lender that show the balance each month. Did you get such statements? In your original question you only mentioned a 1098, not monthly statements. If you did not get monthly statements from the lender showing the balance each month, then that whole section under the heading "Statements provided by your lender" does not apply to you. You just ignore it completely.

If you did get monthly statements showing the balance, when the publication says "You can treat the balance as zero for any month the mortgage wasn't secured by your qualified home," it means months that you did have a mortgage, but the mortgage was not secured by your home. But there are no such months. No mortgage lender would give you a mortgage loan without it being secured by your home. So you just ignore that sentence. There are no months for which you can treat the balance as zero.

(I suppose that sentence is there because a private lender, an individual person, might enter into a mortgage that is not secured. But no bank or mortgage company ever would.)

Thanks again for your thorough reply! I did get monthly statements. I think your interpretation of that section makes sense, though in my opinion, the instructions aren't particularly clear about how to handle the calculation when you had the mortgage for less than 12 months of the year. I guess it's this section here that says: "For each mortgage, figure your average balance by adding your monthly closing or average balances and dividing that total by the number of months the home secured by that mortgage was a qualified home during the year." If I'm reading this correctly, in my case, "the number of months the home secured by that mortgage was a qualified home during the year" isn't 12, but rather ~7 or so. 

And if I were to use the average of first and last balance method, the first step of the instructions say to: "Enter the balance as of the first day of the year that the mortgage was secured by your qualified home during the year (generally, January 1)". In my case, that wouldn't be January 1, but rather sometime in May.

So it seems like with either method I am not able to count the months where I did not have a mortgage. Let me know if you disagree with anything in that assessment. 

Thank you!

Yes, like in many other cases neither the instructions nor official pronounceent give an example of certain common situations

forgot if i gave an example in previous reply

this is an example of how i look at the law post 2018 (the only difference is pre-2018 the cap was $1M)

say 1/1 and 12/31 balance is $1M on both dates and you pay $60K (6%) in interest. since the cap is $750K only 75% or $45K is deductible. say your balance on 5/1 and 12/31 was $1M. at 6% you would pay $40K in interest. again 75% would deductible or $30K

$60K for the full year times 8 (months loan outstanding) divided by 12 is $40K and 75% of that is $30K

to me the results are logical

you do have the option of consulting a pro so see what the results would be if monthly averages were you. But then there's the cost vs any tax benefit.  

perhaps others on this forum will chip in with their opinions.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies