turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How many personal 1040 tax returns can I e-file with turbo tax home and business

How many personal 1040 tax returns can I e-file with turbo tax home and business

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarkB

TurboTax Home and Business version includes 5 federal e-files plus 1 state download.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
MarkB

TurboTax Home and Business version includes 5 federal e-files plus 1 state download.

How do I file on 1040 form for my personal taxes?

If you have Home and Business for 2018 your tax return has to be on a Form 1040 since that is the only form you can file for 2018.  There are no more 1040EZ or 1040A forms for 2018 returns--they were replaced by the new postcard size Form 1040 that now has six possible additional schedules, depending on what you need to enter.  Some people will only need one of the schedules, some a few, some all of them....

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

Self employed sole proprietors file only one tax return, which is a combined personal and business tax return.  Your business income and expenses are reported on Schedule C.  Your net profit,  or loss, from Schedule C then goes on line 12 of form 1040 (Schedule 1).  Form 1040, Schedule C and Schedule 1 (and any other required forms and schedules) are your "tax return".  Some people refer to their whole tax return as "Form 1040", as the other forms and schedules are essentially attachments to form 1040.

Bees
Level 7

Five

This is an IRS limit not just a Turbotax limit. Turbotax is not for licensed paid tax preparers.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/professional-return-preparer-useage/00/29822++

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/frequently-asked-questions-e-file-requirements-for-specified-ta...

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.

If the additional tax return that I will file, other then my own, has a different state, will the Turbo program prompt me to download the new state?  So far Montana is the state that I filed my taxes with and I am doing my  son's filing and he is from New Mexico.

Thank you for your help!

Linda Alden

Are you using desktop software?  Yes when you start entering information and indicate that the taxpayer lived or worked in a different state it should prompt you to download the state software for that state.   There is an extra fee for the extra state software and as you already know---if you e-file the state return you also pay a $25 state e-file fee.   You can avoid the state e-file fee if you print and mail the state instead of e-filing it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Re: How many personal 1040 tax returns can I e-file with turbo tax home and business

thanks

Hal_Al
Level 15

@samassey09 

You may file an unlimited number of returns with the desktop/download/CD versions of TurboTax, including Home & Business.  But, you are limited to 5 e-files. Any additional returns, after 5, have to be printed and mailed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies