Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jaxgab
Returning Member

Turbotax federal e-file return rejected by errors IND-031-04 or IND-032-04

My 2021 federal tax return was e-file rejected today in error, but it was later e-file accepted by entering "0" as our 2020 AGI.  The Turbotax error descriptions are:

IND-031-04: The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records.

IND-032-04: 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database.

Background

My 2020 federal tax return was paper filed during 2020/October and could not be e-filed that particular year.  It then took 20 months for the IRS to process my paper return and get me my refund, which I ultimately received during 2022/Jun without any IRS explanation.  Extremely slow IRS processing was apparently the cause, as there were news stories about the huge backlog of unprocessed paper tax returns the IRS was sitting on.

e-file Rejection

I tried to e-file my 2021 federal tax return today and it was repeatedly rejected by the IRS for the 2020 AGI I was reporting.  But my 2020 AGI was actually correct, as even verified by my 2020 federal tax return transcript at the IRS.gov web site.  The Turbotax error codes in my email were IND-031-04 and IND-032-4.

So I entered "0" as my 2020 AGI and my return was finally accepted today by the IRS.

My personal guess is that my 2020 federal tax return AGI was never loaded into the correct IRS computer file (the file used to test that 2021 federal tax returns are authentic) because my 2020 federal tax return wasn't processed timely by the IRS.  Anyway, you might need to give "0 AGI" a try if your e-file attempts are being mysteriously rejected by the IRS, especially if you paper filed your 2020 federal tax return and it took the IRS a long time to process your return.              

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Yes?  You explained it pretty well.  Didn't see a question in there.

IRS has much earlier recommended to do that if your 2020 tax return was/is  delayed.

I am getting this AGI error when I efile. Is it becasue, last year I had an ITIN and this is the first year I got my SSN.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You are commenting on an older thread. If you are having trouble with the AGI, you can try to enter 0 for the prior year AGI.  

Please let us know if we can assist you further. @Pooja Singhi 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
barijudy

Please answer me, what do I do now to rectify this?

BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

If you have received rejection errors when entering your prior year AGI and when entering a zero, there may be something else in play which is not allowing the AGI to be recognized.  Some examples include the prior year return being amended, the primary taxpayer being deceased, a change in filing status from 2021, etc.  

You may need to print, sign, and mail your return this year if you cannot get past the rejection.

See this article for common fixes for the rejection you are experiencing: How to fix AGI rejects.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies