turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1040X is available now (2/8/2019 12:00pm est) from the IRS. When will it be available on TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

Form 1040X is available now (2/8/2019 12:00pm est) from the IRS. When will it be available on TurboTax?

TurboTax expects to release form 1040X on 2/22/2019. The message should refer not just to the form, but also to all the programming and extensive testing that must precede the release of any form in the TurboTax system.

Please watch this TurboTax webpage for the release dates of federal forms (and all the associated programming and testing).

So on 2/22 will e-file be supported. If not what's the point of all the coding and programming?

That is the current schedule.

It's currently available in PDF from the IRS <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf</a>

3 days ago, you asked if "e-file be supported". The 1040X must be printed and mailed (IRS requirement). It is scheduled to be released by TurboTax on 2/22/2019. As I noted, it takes time after the government releases the final form for TurboTax to complete its programming and testing. And, as you can imagine, at this time of year, there are thousands of forms from the federal government and the states that all need to be completed and released at the same time.

Okay it the 22nd.. Where do i Find the 1040x form? It was supposed to be available.

Do you have any estimation when the form will be ready through turbotax, it seems like turbo tax keeps extending the availability date? I see it now says 03/07/2019, but before it was the 8th and the 22nd so just wondering how many times the dates usually change until it is finally finalized.

Form still isnt available today... Okay what gives Turbo tax. You said the 22nd. Starting to regret I paid for this.
vnjones80

When will the 1040x be available? First is was the 8th of Feb, then the 28th, now its saying the 7th of March.  Will it be released before federal deadlines? I dont need to be penalized.
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately the date has been moved to 03/07/19. I am sorry for the delay. Please keep in mind you have 3 years from the date you filed your return (or 2 years after you paid the tax due, whichever is later) to file an amended return, which means you don't have to get it done by the April 15 filing deadline.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The finalized 1040X form is available from the IRS, but the finalized filing instructions for that form are NOT. The IRS specifically says not to file with a draft version of the instructions, but to wait until the final instructions are released: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040x--dft.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040x--dft.pdf</a>. Until the IRS realses the line-by-line filing instructions, TurboTax cannot update the system to fill out the form accurately.
bguy0707

The delay on 1040X filing instructions should not prevent people from entering the new/amended information into Turbotax for calculation purposes. That is one of the big reasons people use the software... for a single source of keeping their information. As stated, the 1040X has been available for a month at the IRS in .pdf format. It is also understood that it must be printed and mailed, so the efile reason to use Turbotax is negated.  There is zero reason for Intuit to take a full month to utilize the IRS's form or recreate their own to perform the simple calculations on the 1040X - or at least open up the ability to add new information.

And what about interest? No interest for 2 years if we owe more than we paid in our original return?

And what about interest? No interest for 2 years if we owe more than we paid in our original return?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies