turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TWN

TurboTax Date Miscalculation / Late Filing Options

I am a military member stationed overseas and filed an extension due to over-payment of Roth IRAs to give time to recharacterize the over-investments to a traditional IRA.  I then attempted to e-file on 15 Oct 19, but the return was rejected due to what seemed to be a problem with the date that TurboTax generated for the filing (16 Oct 19) and the actual dates that I entered (15 Oct 19).  Is this a known error issue with TurboTax not properly reading the computer's date?  I then resubmitted the return on 16 Oct 19, but assume that it will not be accepted since it is past the 15 Oct 19 due date.  What are my options to complete my filing?  Is it possible that the return will be accepted a day late or will I need to file a paper return (which will take another week to get my spouse's pen and ink signature)?  I accept any late fees and penalties due to my lateness, but I would like to complete the filing as soon as possible to avoid additional fees.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

@ TWN 

I don't know why it was not accepting 10/15 and telling you 10/16 if your computer clock and date settings were correct, and correct time zone for 10/15/2019.

In any case did you successfully submit the efile?   Efile is still open at the IRS, so it should not be rejected strictly because it was efiled on 10/16/2019.   A lot of people efile late returns.    If it's rejected, it would likely be for some other reason.   The problem would be that TurboTax may no longer let one efile for the first time after October 15; i.e., efiling may have shut down for an unfiled return.  I'm trying to get TurboTax folks to verify that in regards to the desktop software.

If you did let you submit the file, what status is showing now with this efile status check tool?   Does it say pending, accepted, rejected, etc.?

https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp

If you are using desktop software, you can (and should) also check the efile status from within your desktop program.   When you launch the program and open the return, it may automatically prompt you to check the efile status.   Or you can open your return, than go to the top left corner of the interface and in the top menubar click on the FILE menu, then in the dropdown menu choose ELECTRONIC FILING, then in the next menu "Check Electronic Filing Status."

If you are getting a Federal refund, there is no penalty for a late Federal return.

If you owed Federal taxes and receive a late filing penalty, you may be able to ask the IRS for it to be abated.  There is a procedure to request such, especially for a first-time penalty, and you can explain to the IRS what happened.

@ TWN 

ADDENDUM:

If you did manage to transmit the return, and if the IRS happens to reject your efiled return for some reason, you should be able to correct it and resubmit the efile, but it should be done as soon as possible.

Normally people with extensions who efile by October 15 and are rejected for some reason have until October 20 to resubmit without any penalty.   However, in  your case, if your efile date was October 16, you wouldn't have that grace period.  But you should still be able to correct a rejected return and resubmit.

Let's hope that it was accepted in the first place.  I told you some ways to follow it in my first comment above.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies