Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax Business Desktop Windows 10 fails to download CA state with blank which window and exception code 0xc0000005

I'm running TurboTax Business Desktop on Windows 10 and it consistently fails to download the California state application over and over.  It brings up a screen to sign in to my account but then overlays it with a blank window that cannot be exited with escape or hitting the x box.  Only force-quit of the application or a reboot gets rid of it when this happens.  The application error log gives an exception code: 0xc0000005 for the CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess.

Any suggestions on what to do?  I'm ready to complete the filing but can't get the California forms to download.

===

Faulting application name: CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess.exe, version: 112.3.0.0, time stamp: 0xac8aeb08
Faulting module name: libcef.dll, version: 112.3.0.0, time stamp: 0x643ef9f4
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: [phone number removed]f69b7b
Faulting process id: 0x1d14
Faulting application start time: 0x01da89467f87b068
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\TurboTax\Business 2023\64bit\CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\TurboTax\Business 2023\64bit\libcef.dll
Report Id: b1ac6400-1272-477a-a2f2-5d33e5afcd24
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

TurboTax Business Desktop Windows 10 fails to download CA state with blank which window and exception code 0xc0000005

Note similar but different exception id posted here.  I'll try the update os twice with reboots to see if it helps.  But I had been up to date already...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/turbotax-2022-for-win[product key removed]-latest...

I tried updating and restarting twice.  Still see the issue of the exception preventing continuing.

Help Intuit!  I can't file without this.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

I am going to suggest these steps below. I think you might be having an issue other users have experienced when using Windows 10. 

1. Type "environment" in the windows search bar.  
  2. This will bring up "Edit the System Environment Variables" as a match.   
  3. Clicking on it takes you to the "Advanced" tab of a dialog box titled "System Properties."   
  4. Near the bottom of the dialog box, click on the pushbutton labeled "Environment Variables...".   
  5. This brings up a separate dialog box that shows the current values for user environment variables at the top and system variables at the bottom. In the list of user environment variables, you should see both TEMP and TMP, and their current values.   
  6. Click on each, then click on the "Edit..." pushbutton.   
  7. This brings up another dialog box in which you can change the "Variable value" to "C:\Temp" (be sure to change the variable value, not the variable name).   
  8. This folder must, of course, exist for this step to work properly.   
  9. OK out of all the dialog boxes and retry the install.   
  10. Environment variable changes take effect immediately, so if this is the only change you make, it's not necessary to reboot.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I created C:\Temp and change the user environment variables for TMP and TEMP to point there.

It did not solve the problem.  Now April 8...

I tried an uninstall of TTB2023, then reboot.

Then re-download the image.

Then re-install it.

Then update it via the dialog.

Then reboot.

Then start TTB continue the return and attempt to download state (CA).

Same behavior that it freezes after presenting the signin page displaying an empty white page that can't be closed.

Is there really no way to login to the TT web site and manually download the state files?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You can try this. State install/e-file update loop: State not installed after installation or TurboTax needs to update...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I tried the cleaner tool, but it didn't work, as expected, since I have yet to download a state.

This continues to fail after clicking the "Sign in" button.  If I wait a short while without even trying to enter my credentials, the white cover window comes up that can't be dismissed and the program needs to be terminated.

I ended up finding a different computer, also Windows 10, and installing TTB there and copying over the tax file.

For some reason it worked there.  I don't know what people who can't find another computer would do.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies