turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Fit2
Returning Member

Turbotax backup tax file and turbo tax tax file

Why is it that the backup tax file ( one with the tile) does NOT match the file opened and worked on.  I have these 2 files on my flash drive as well as a third tilde backup file that has the data all the way thru completing the efile all on flash drive. I use 5he flash drive rather than storing on hardrive or within turbo tax. This is all on desktop deluxe edition on windows 11 os.

Today I also notice that the file naming convention changed. It use to save taxfile with last name and first initial. Today's file save with first name and middle initial. 

What is going on with file saving and naming convention?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Don't know about the naming change...maybe some issues with working dependents, who have the same first name as the parent (usually the father)....that has caused problems with folks accidentally overwriting their own file.....using middle initial might eliminate that problem for most cases (but not all).

1) the tilde file ( ~ ), is not always exactly the final one....it is purposely a few steps (a few minutes or so) behind what you are working on, in case some disaster happens, you can recover "most" of what you've prepared.

2)  It is strongly recommended to NOT save directly to, or work off a USB flash drive...historically, those files have become corrupted during the save process, and become unrecoverable.  Certainly, things might have improved over the years, and perhaps they have some better interaction now...BUT (opinion) it's still safer to work and save to your main system disk, then copy-paste the .tax2023 datafile to the flash drive for backup.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies