Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlkaz37

TurboTax 2023 IRS 6 digit PIN bug

In attempting to e-file my 2023 Income Tax, the IRS sent the error IND-181-01 IP PIN error. It wanted the 6 digit  PIN IRS mailed me in January -- which is completely different from the 5 digit PIN TutboTax needs for filing.

The problem is that TuboTax never mentions this 6 digit PIN (and that one should not confuse it with its own 5 digit pin). 

After some *hours* of frustration, I realized that the PRINTED Form 1040 quietly requires this PIN at the end of the form (near the signature and occupation).  It is particularly vital if one is seeking a refund because of overpayment.   Without this PIN IRS does not want to process the refund.

SOLUTION:  Go to the the actual form and enter this data by hand.  I very much doubt that most ordinary TurboTax users would realize this or know how to do it.

To fix this,  TurboTax should add a sentence where users enter their data: name and occupation etc, . The sentence should say that if IRS mailed them this 6 digit security PIN, then enter it here.

The problem was intense annoyed frustration with TurboTax.  I hesitate to buy it again next year.  This bug is really simple to fix once one understands the problem..

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

TurboTax 2023 IRS 6 digit PIN bug

Here are two ways to navigate to the section to enter the 6 digit IP PIN: 

1. Log in and open your return ("Take me to my return") 
  2. Once the return is open, then go to the Federal Taxes tab. 
  3. Subtab Other Tax Situations 
  4. Scroll down to Other Return Info. 
  5. Choose Identity Protection PIN and Start (or Revisit.) 
  6. Next screen asks:  "Did you or any of your dependents get an IP PIN from the IRS for this year's taxes?" 

Or another way: 

1. Open your return if not already open.  ("Take me to my return.") 
  2. Once the return is open, click at the top on MY ACCOUNT, then choose TOOLS. 
  3. In the Tools window choose TOPIC SEARCH. 
  4. Enter IP PIN without quotes. 
  5. In the selection list highlight IP PIN and click GO. 
  6. Next screen asks:  "Did you or any of your dependents get an IP PIN from the IRS for this year's taxes?" 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies