Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax 2022 for Mac crashed - Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x4] Symbol missing

I installed TT 2022 on my Mac in Jan 2023 and it had worked fine. I didn't finish my tax return yet. Today I'm trying to resume the work. When I opened TT it asked me to upgrade (as usual), and I did. After that when I tried to open the app, it crashed on me with error (key info Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x4] Symbol missing)

I'm on Big Sur MacOS.

When this happened I tried to recover by myself
1. Tried to upgrade MacOS to latest 11.7.8. After it, retried the app. No luck
2. Then I reinstalled the TurboTax 2022 app. I was able to open it. Then it asked me to upgrade, which I did. After that it crashed with the same error.

I have a lot of work saved in the app and I need to get it back to work asap.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

43 Replies

I'm having the same issue. Was working previously and now getting a 'Turbotax 2022 cannot be opened because of a problem' after installing the latest update. Crash report show the same issue 'Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x4] Symbol missing'.

Also tried upgrading my OS to 11.7.8 with no success.

Can someone help resolve this issue?

Try uninstalling the program, reboot your computer then install the program again ... this usually will shake whatever is hanging up. 

Same issue with MacOS 11.7.8, but works fine with 13.4.  The problem is that the person I was helping has a computer stuck with Big Sur macOS.

I am on MAC OS 11.7.6 and had the same crash today when I updated turbo tax.  Worked fine a week ago. 

Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x4] Symbol Missing.

Turbo Tax -- please fix this!!!

Same problem running 11.7.x, immediately after updating to v.2022.r39.068 and any subsequent attempt to launch. Crash log available.

Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: __ZTINSt3__114basic_ofstreamIcNS_11char_traitsIcEEEE
Referenced from: /Applications/TurboTax 2022.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libLogger.dylib
Expected in: /usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib
in /Applications/TurboTax 2022.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libLogger.dylib

I have had the same issue and called Turbo Tax support, spoke with a very patient rep.  She was able to get their investigation team to reproduce the problem, so it is at least now a "known issue".  No timeline for a fix.  I have also upgraded from 11.7.6 to 11.7.8 and re-installed TT -- same crash error message, EXEC_CRASH (SIGABRT)... DYLD [0x4] Symbol Missing.  If you have time, suggest calling TT Support 1-800-446-8848, so they know that multiple people have this issue and can prioritize the fix

Same problem on Big Sur 11.7.3 and 11.7.8

Ridiculous to have had an admin? erase the support number! In any case, customer support is closed and didn't bother to mention their hours, so will have to try again tomorrow.

Forgot to mention before that it does not crash running in macOS Monterey, so appears to be a Dylib missing only in Big Sur.

The support number is [phone number removed], and they are open until 5pm PST.

let's try this again - is eight hundred, four six six, eight eight four eight

@alvarnell @dpaulc @sparkhill 

Several other Mac users have reported this problem in the last week or so.  It appears to be caused by the latest Mac software update.  TurboTax support is aware of the problem.  You should contact TurboTax support.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for contacting support - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/account-management/turbotax-phone-number...

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

TurboTax was working fine on Big Sur 11.7.3 a month ago. It would not work yesterday on 11.7.3. So it appears it is not due to latest Mac software. I then upgrade and it still did not work. I reinstalled TT on each version of Big Sur. I also deleted all TT files in Library folder and reinstalled. This also did not solve the problem.

@dpaulc It has nothing to do with the version of MacOS Big Sur. It started with the latest version of TurboTax last week. Re-installing the previous version and disabling the Internet so that it cannot check for an update allows me to use the older TT when and if I need to. This won't be fixed until Intuit solves the issue on their end.

Agree.  It was working find on 11.7.6 as well -- until a few days ago when I opened turbotax and applied updates and it crashed.  Believe this is an issue with the latest turbo tax updates.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies