turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax 2020 Premier update stuck

I've installed TT 2020 Premier on my windows 10 machine 2-3 months back. I live in CA.

Today when i try starting TT 2020, it asked for update new version or something to that effect but it is stuck in the "TurboTax 2020 - Updater" window at "Installing Program Updates -- 48%" and it's be 20+ minutes now, no change, still at 48% and "3 minutes left".

how to get unstuck safely (with out negative effect on my TT software and/or my Windows 10)?

thanks 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Many times you can solve this by using a wired connection to your network.  WiFi is always slower than wired.   I have resorted to alt, control, delete to get out of an upload that won't finish.  Connect with wire and restart your computer.

Often the speed is better if you update late at night.  To check your speed, go to the speedtest app.

Sometimes you have to turn it off and take it somewhere with better WiFi speed.  Even if it is a public WiFi.  It is only updating the program and not your personal information.   

In my experience, getting faster internet speed has always resolved this.  

You can also manually update TurboTax.  
Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Bas... (intuit.com)

Thanks for the tips.

I've restarted my computer and restarted tt2020 and update seems to work this time.

I don't think it's a connectivity issue/long delay with my computer nor my internet service, as i was able to browse various websites without any delay or issue, but will try speedtest next time if encounter same issue.

thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies