Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rmunitz

TurboTax 2018 support end of life problems. Need to give Intuit feedback

In August I was able to work with Turbotax 2018. Yesterday I ran into an unsolvable problem due to the software checking for a state file (that was there in August!) and wanting to download a state file but not being able to because apparently Intuit decided it times to end 5 year support (I argue too soon!) without having any manual work around procedures (poor programming). I am interested in knowing if anyone out there has a suggestion for a work around because the customer support supervisor just gives me the lame "we no longer support 2018" line. The problem is that when you open the software it checks for a required state file. I can't tell if the state file is really missing or not, and I believe it should be there because I was able to work on the same file in August. Then the software goes to retrieve the file and that fails (with unhelpful feedback screen causing me to waste hours trying to find a work around). Once I finally come across an internet mention that perhaps Intuit dropped support I waited until today to have it confirmed but no actual date was reported. Just that an email went out in July that 5 year support was ending. I buy my turbotax every year in early February because that's when the software on disk comes out. In my mind, 5 year support should be based on 12/31/2018 and not mid summer when no one is doing taxes. (Feel free to agree or disagree on that one.) I asked the support rep if there were any archive of files that I could access to manually install a state file and I was told NO. It is gone from their system. I can hardly believe that any programming department worth their salt would not have such workarounds in place but speaking with customer support was going no where.  So my question is whether anyone in the community has a suggestion as to how to confirm if the state file is on the computer or not (PC and/or Mac), and if not, is there any method to get CA file onto computer (PC or Mac, either one). Thanks for any suggestions.  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Have you tried logging into your account (CD/Download)? Click on the Download tab.

See https://accounts-tax.intuit.com/turbotaxdesktop

I logged into my account and have TurboTax desktop products going all the way back to 2014. Perhaps you can ask Support to populate your account with the products you purchased,

Agree with @tagteam I also have TurboTax programs in my download account going back to 2014.  And specifically have a State download for tax year 2018 in the account.

To keep it from looking for the update try disconnecting from the internet to complete the return ... since you need to print, ink sign and mail in the return anyway connection to the internet is immaterial. 

rmunitz

Yes but have you tried to actually download it this week? As my post explained, no problem 6 weeks ago. Now a problem.

rmunitz

Of course. I can see my litany of software. It's the downloading of the state specifically that was causing the headaches.

@rmunitz wrote:

Yes but have you tried to actually download it this week? 

I have tried and the download was successful.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies