Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax will not handle capital gains Schedule D until January.

Same issue as in last years. Turbo Tax will not handle capital gains Schedule D until January. That's a problem for those who are trying to estimate taxes and make trades before year end.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Has anyone ever backtested prior versions of the above mentioned TAXCASTER Tax Calculator? Was it found to be sufficiently accurate?

I see the date the Turbo Tax form for Schedule D keeps pushing out.  It was Dec 29th, then Jan 4th, and now Jan 10th.  I'm guessing it will continue pushing out.

The https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/ doesn't provide hooks into previous years tax return so carryovers are not included in its calculations.  I could figure these things out manually, but this is equivalent to just filling out the IRS forms myself.  I expected TurboTax Premier to do this for me.  

I opened TurboTax Deluxe this morning and an update was available. After applying the update, I went to my tax return, "Wages & Income", "Investment Income", "Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other" and there was a green-colored note in the 2023 column that says "Available now".

I use TT to estimate my year end AGI and taxes. When Schedule D is not yet available, it's only not available for the Interview. I switch to Forms and create a 1099-B for each broker reflecting the short and long term gain/loss totals shown on the broker's website. TT creates a Schedule D and includes the cap gains/losses I entered in computing my taxes.

When Schedule D is released and TT updated, the Interview will show the item  "Needs update" in bright red and I do. I haven't look closely, but don't recall seeing a change in the Federal Refund shown along the top of the page after the official Schedule D is released. I'd only be concerned if heard cap gain tax rules were changing for the tax year.

Hi,
Same here.  It was then able to import all the info from my brokerage account and fill in the blanks but even afterwards, the green Available Now still shows figures. Don't think it makes any difference though on the actual forms but wondering if it ever goes away.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies