Cat lover

turbo tax suggested enhancement

I have encountered a problem that other people I know have, as well.

We had withholding from social security payments and turbo tax properly entered the 1099 information. 

Apparently many folks do not withhold from SS, and the IRS cannot process causing a delay in refunds, till they review and ask for copies of the 1099 from social security.

I suggest that turbo tax include at the end of the return, an area with free form writing, so we can let them know although unusual some retirees do have money withheld.

turbo tax suggested enhancement

If a tax return is printed and mailed, an explanation for any reason can be attached to the paper tax return.

An e-filed tax return does not have option to have a free form section for writing explanations because the IRS does not support a free form option on electronically filed federal tax returns.

At the end of 2021 there were over 65 million recipients of Social Security benefits.  The option to have federal taxes withheld from the benefits is up to each individual recipient.  Millions of recipients do not have taxes withheld from their benefits (myself included).  In no way does this cause a delay on the federal tax refund.

rjs

turbo tax suggested enhancement

The IRS does not want explanations that are not required by the tax rules. The IRS instructions for Form 1040 say "Don't attach correspondence or other items unless required to do so."

Cat lover

turbo tax suggested enhancement

I did file electronically on February 1st and received a letter saying the 1099 information was not included. However, I looked at the transcript where it was included. I then had to send the IRS a fax of the document.

I did receive my refund on August 31st.

So, my concern is for new year to through this again!

thank you for you input!

fanfare

turbo tax suggested enhancement

Don't file until last week of February or  early March or without your 1099-SSA in hand.

Then you should not have any problem.

@Cat lover  

Cat lover

turbo tax suggested enhancement

Thanks!