Turbo is incorrectly calculating my SS tax - asking for corrected w2 because my employer took more than 6.2% of my Box 3 SS wages. But its wrong, what should I do?

Nurse-O

my w2 is correct, but turbo tax is insisting I need to request for corrected w2 to correct SS tax withheld --- do I just ignore this and go ahead and submit my return?

BMcCalpin

On your W-2, is the amount in box 4 (SS tax) more than 6.2% of box 3 (SS wages)?

If yes, then your employer withheld too much and needs to file a corrected W-2 and return the excess to you.

However, is the amount in box 4 just one penny (or one dollar, if you have a dollar return) more than 6.2%?

In that case, your employer might have made a rounding error - rounding up instead of down.

$0.00 to $0.49 rounds down to $0; $0.50 to $0.99 rounds up to $1.

If none of this turns out to be the case, then delete all W-2s and start over in case there is some unwanted data hanging around in your TurboTax return.

mkalm1325

turbo tax is using wages in box 1 to calculate social security taxes instead of using box 3 social security wages