Turbo is incorrectly calculating my SS tax - asking for corrected w2 because my employer took more than 6.2% of my Box 3 SS wages. But its wrong, what should I do?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nurse-O

Turbo is incorrectly calculating my SS tax - asking for corrected w2 because my employer took more than 6.2% of my Box 3 SS wages. But its wrong, what should I do?

my w2 is correct, but turbo tax is insisting I need to request for corrected w2 to correct SS tax withheld --- do I just ignore this and go ahead and submit my return?

2 Replies
BMcCalpin
Level 13

On your W-2, is the amount in box 4 (SS tax) more than 6.2% of box 3 (SS wages)?

If yes, then your employer withheld too much and needs to file a corrected W-2 and return the excess to you.

However, is the amount in box 4 just one penny (or one dollar, if you have a dollar return) more than 6.2%?

In that case, your employer might have made a rounding error - rounding up instead of down.

$0.00 to $0.49 rounds down to $0; $0.50 to $0.99 rounds up to $1.

If none of this turns out to be the case, then delete all W-2s and start over in case there is some unwanted data hanging around in your TurboTax return.

mkalm1325

turbo tax is using wages in box 1 to calculate social security taxes instead of using box 3 social security wages
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings