turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PC-8

I am preparing my father's return for 2017. In 2016 he paid a preparer to do it and they used TurboTax. How can I create a login that rolls over his info from 2016?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am preparing my father's return for 2017. In 2016 he paid a preparer to do it and they used TurboTax. How can I create a login that rolls over his info from 2016?

You can't "create a log in" that will "roll over" the information.

Paid preparers can't use the personal version of Turbotax, it's against the license and against IRS regulations.  

If the preparer used personal Turbotax online, you would need to log into the same account.  Ask for the login information.  Possibly you can get customer service to transfer the account to you but you would need to send in proof of identity.

If the preparer used Turbotax personal installed on their own computer, nothing is stored online.  You could ask them for the tax data file, which can then be uploaded to a new online account as the first step.

If the preparer used the Pro version (which would be allowable), that file type won't transfer to the personal program.

You may need to make an account and just enter any redundant information by hand from a copy of the previous return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

TT is not licensed for use by paid tax preparers.

What do you mean he used a paid preparer to do his 2016 tax return?  Paid preparers are not allowed to use TurboTax. Did the preparer use one of the professional versions of the software?  What did that preparer give him?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You can't "create a log in" that will "roll over" the information.

Paid preparers can't use the personal version of Turbotax, it's against the license and against IRS regulations.  

If the preparer used personal Turbotax online, you would need to log into the same account.  Ask for the login information.  Possibly you can get customer service to transfer the account to you but you would need to send in proof of identity.

If the preparer used Turbotax personal installed on their own computer, nothing is stored online.  You could ask them for the tax data file, which can then be uploaded to a new online account as the first step.

If the preparer used the Pro version (which would be allowable), that file type won't transfer to the personal program.

You may need to make an account and just enter any redundant information by hand from a copy of the previous return.

To transfer from 2016 you would need to have the tax data file ending in .tax2016 on your computer.  Was this a professional tax preparer or just somebody who charged him (which is against the license)?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies