Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT 2023 Deluxe Not Showing Application of 2022 Overpayment to 2023 Federal Estimated Taxes

In my son's 2022 return via TT, we specified that $593 be applied from the overpayment to 2023 federal 

estimated taxes.  I do not see that entered in any dialog with 2023 TT Deluxe. I have looked at previous answers to a similar question, but they don't seem to solve this problem for us. The 1040 Estimated Tax worksheet does 

not even show up when I click on forms since the $593 represents all the estimated tax that was paid.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

TT 2023 Deluxe Not Showing Application of 2022 Overpayment to 2023 Federal Estimated Taxes

To enter, change or delete a refund from the prior year applied to this years taxes (Federal, State, Local) -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Deductions and Credits
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the options under 2022 Refund Applied to 2023

Or enter refund applied to this year in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to refund applied to this year

The prior year refund amount applied is shown on Form 1040 Line 26

If it didn't transfer over from last year then enter a refund from last year that you applied to this year here.   BUT first make sure it's not already there.  You don't want to apply it twice.

To enter last year's refund you applied to this year.

Federal (Personal for Home & Business)

Deductions and Credits

Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Revisit

Next page scroll down to 2022 Refund Applied to 2023

Click Start or Update by the tax you applied

TT did not transfer over the amount of 2022 overpayment to the 2023 estimated federal taxes.  Of course, I can enter the amount myself, but this appears to be a significant TT programming bug!  And it makes us question whether the overpayment amount was really applied.  We guess  that we have to trust that the IRS noted that my son didn't get the complete refund he was suppose to, and that the difference represents an amount to be applied to the 2023 estimated taxes or payment. 

@Mochina Look at the 2022 Form 1040 that was filed.

On Line 36 Amount of line 34 you want applied to your 2023 estimated tax.  Is there an amount entered?

Yes, line 36 shows $593. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies