nachojelly

Trying to upload coinbase CSV to turbo tax but it keeps saying no header found. I saw that a lot other customers are facing same issue online. What can I do?

It's under 2251 transactions for sure so that isn't the issue
LindseyLO

Assistance with uploading your Coinbase file has been provided for you below.

How do I get a CSV file from Coinbase?

geoffsym

2. Select 2020 next to Gain/Loss Calculator

This step is impossible. Coinbase doesn't have the Gain/Loss Calculator any more. The only .csv file I can get from Coinbase has this header on the 8th line:

Timestamp,Transaction Type,Asset,Quantity Transacted,USD Spot Price at Transaction,USD Subtotal,USD Total (inclusive of fees),USD Fees,Notes

The only reason I was willing to pay for your service is because you claimed it "easily handles cryptocurrency gains and losses" on Coinbase's website. I am unable to file my taxes until this issue is resolved.

fanfare

Try making the header be the 1st line.

If that doesn't work, you have to get the exact header keywords to be used for each column from TurboTax Support.

fanfare

If TurboTax won't accept your CSV file, proceed as follows.

Adjust your csv files so the columns are in the same order as on Form 8949.

Put a header with your name tax year and SS Number

Use the summary option and then you can mail in the printout of the CSV files.
See the TurboTax instructions that will pop up.

You would use Category C and/or F since you don't have a 1099-B.

At tax time, you have the option to summarize your transactions by Sales Category.

IRS requires C/F details to be listed on your Form 8949,
or on your own forms (e.g. spreadsheet) which have the same information and in the same manner as Form 8949.
Either way, if you choose to summarize, you have to mail the transaction details to the IRS within three business days of IRS accepting your e-Filed tax return.