turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to upload coinbase CSV to turbo tax but it keeps saying no header found. I saw that a lot other customers are facing same issue online. What can I do?

It's under 2251 transactions for sure so that isn't the issue
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Trying to upload coinbase CSV to turbo tax but it keeps saying no header found. I saw that a lot other customers are facing same issue online. What can I do?

Assistance with uploading your Coinbase file has been provided for you below.

How do I get a CSV file from Coinbase?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

2. Select 2020 next to Gain/Loss Calculator

This step is impossible. Coinbase doesn't have the Gain/Loss Calculator any more. The only .csv file I can get from Coinbase has this header on the 8th line:

Timestamp,Transaction Type,Asset,Quantity Transacted,USD Spot Price at Transaction,USD Subtotal,USD Total (inclusive of fees),USD Fees,Notes

The only reason I was willing to pay for your service is because you claimed it "easily handles cryptocurrency gains and losses" on Coinbase's website. I am unable to file my taxes until this issue is resolved.

Try making the header be the 1st line.

If that doesn't work, you have to get the exact header keywords to be used for each column from TurboTax Support.

If TurboTax won't accept your CSV file, proceed as follows.

Adjust your csv files so the columns are in the same order as on Form 8949.

Put a header with your name tax year and SS Number

Use the summary option and then you can mail in the printout of the CSV files.
See the TurboTax instructions that will pop up.

You would use Category C and/or F since you don't have a 1099-B.

At tax time, you have the option to summarize your transactions by Sales Category.

IRS requires C/F details to be listed on your Form 8949,
or on your own forms (e.g. spreadsheet) which have the same information and in the same manner as Form 8949.
Either way, if you choose to summarize, you have to mail the transaction details to the IRS within three business days of IRS accepting your e-Filed tax return.

WTF. Are you kidding me. This Coinbase Inntuit service is a racket. I have to pay a 3rd Party like cointracker $300 for a compatible CSV file plus $400 for full service to prepare my taxes because Turrbotax wont allow a compatible CSV version to upload my own trading statement to file my own taxes for free. I want a full refund or I am filing a class action lawsuit.

To save money, just use the summary option and report your grand totals for crypto on Schedule D line 3.

Then hope IRS won't audit you on it and request the transaction details.

You’re going to hate this but I literally created a new document and copied all the info over by hand. Would not want to do that for that many transactions though. 

This is insane. 2023 now, and TurboTax won't accept the CSV files that coinbase SPECIFICALLY GENERATES FOR TURBO TAX!!!!!

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the below TurboTax help article for assistance with either importing or uploading a CSV file from Coinbase.

How do I download a CSV file from Coinbase?

@swingonthespirul

Absolute nightmare - how is this possible that they advertise CSV upload capabilities and it doesn't even work. Been circulating this information on as many social platforms as possible. Trying to get it in front of larger crypto influencers who have followings. Definition of false advertising.

*Update: the issue with the CSVs may be related to the number of transactions Turbo Tax can upload at a time.

For example, the CSV I had trouble with had 300+ transactions and kept failing. But a separate CSV that had 95 transactions uploaded just fine.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You may be able to upload a .csv file from Coinbase.

I was be able to upload a .csv file by following these steps: 

• Go to Federal / Wages & Income / Your income / Investments and Savings.
  • Click Start / Revisit to the right of Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.
  • Click Add investments.
  • At the screen Get ready to be impressed, click Continue.
  • At the screen Let’s import your tax info, click Enter a different way.
  • At the screen OK, let’s start with one investment type, select Cryptocurrency.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen Select your crypto experience, select Upload.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen What’s the name of the crypto service, select Other and enter the name of the service.
  • Click Continue.
  • At the screen Go ahead and upload your crypto CSV file, upload the file.

The .csv should follow this format.

• All the columns from the .csv file were deleted except for the five columns listed below.   
  • All other lines other than the headings and the five columns of data were deleted.

•    Purchase Date
  •    Date Sold
  •    Proceeds
  •    Cost Basis
  •    Currency Name

.csv file format.

A                   B              C                  D                   E

purchase date  date sold    proceeds   cost basis   currency name

11/24/2021        2/1/2022    1,779.96     1,916.52         ABFOA

12/7/2021          4/1/2022    1,111.46     1,225.45         ABFOA

11/24/2021        3/1/2022    1,638.54     1,638.54         ABFOA

@JB262 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies