Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to fill out wife’s W4. Previously we filled out W4 Single/Zero dependants to overwithhold. I just want to mimic that on the new form. How do I do that?

We ended up owing this year. Does it matter if we enter Single on new W4 knowing we will file jointly?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Trying to fill out wife’s W4. Previously we filled out W4 Single/Zero dependants to overwithhold. I just want to mimic that on the new form. How do I do that?

No.   Your W-4 is just the document that tells your employer how much to withhold from your paychecks.   Your W-4 only goes to the employer.   It does not go to the IRS and does not dictate how you file your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

No. As previously answered, you can claim anything on the W-4; it does not affect how or what you claim on your tax filing (it doesn't have to reflect reality as long it withholds enough to prevent underwithholding penalties). If claiming "single" doesn't withhold enough, you can specify an additional amount withheld each paycheck on line 4(c). In the past, I have claimed 9 dependents/exemptions to get the calculated withholding either at zero or close to it, and then put the exact amount I want withheld on line 4(c). I would have claimed more than 9 except it requires additional paperwork.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies