turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

reakeech

Transfer turbo tax to a new computer

transfer turbo tax to a new computer
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can't transfer the programs.  They have to be installed from the CD or Download.  You don't need to install the prior year programs unless you need to amend that year.  Before you move your tax return files make sure you have saved each year as a pdf file.  So you may want to open each year and do that.  FILE - SAVE TO PDF

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored.  Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

You need to have the file ending in .tax2014 to Transfer into the 2015 program.  

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901474-move-your-tax-return-to-a-different-computer

View solution in original post

15 Replies

You can't transfer the programs.  They have to be installed from the CD or Download.  You don't need to install the prior year programs unless you need to amend that year.  Before you move your tax return files make sure you have saved each year as a pdf file.  So you may want to open each year and do that.  FILE - SAVE TO PDF

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored.  Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

You need to have the file ending in .tax2014 to Transfer into the 2015 program.  

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901474-move-your-tax-return-to-a-different-computer
mgamkii

When the program files are loaded to the new computer from the CD's on sign on will the programs be automatically updated??

Depends.  On a Mac it automatically tries to update when you start the program.  For Windows it might or it might ask if you want to.  And There is  a setting you can choose when to update.   Go to Online-Updater Preferences.

Update Preferences.jpg

mgamkii

Thanks.  I will shortly be given the opportunity to try it.

ormandb

if install turbotax premier 2019 on a macbook pro, then buy a new mack pro, can one reinstall on new computer or what???

ormandb

Had an accident with original MacBook Pro after just recently installing TurboTax Premier 2019 from disc which I bought at Costco.  Must I buy a 2nd Turbotax Premier 2019, to install on my new MacBook Pro. I have the older laptop and the brand new MacBkPro, but am having problems with the original. (Accident was my BAD)!!!

ormandb

Had an accident with original MacBook Pro after just recently installing TurboTax Premier 2019 from disc which I bought at Costco.  Must I buy a 2nd Turbotax Premier 2019, to install on my new MacBook Pro. I have the older laptop and the brand new MacBkPro, but am having problems with the original. (Accident was my BAD)!!!

Yes you can install Turbo Tax on 5 computers.  If your new Mac doesn't have a CD drive you can download the program.

How to install Turbo Tax if you don't have a CD drive

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

gcfre79

THANK YOU.

Rois

I used a removable hard drive to install TT. when i moved the drive to another computer, TT would not launch. I called support and was told to install TT again using the new computer. I used the removable hard drive again and used the same directory. the program does not launch. error TTT600. what do do now??? this happens on both computers now.

392VRP

The other day I installed Turbo Tax from your 2019 edition, Home and Business DISK on my old Mac Pro.

Today I want to install Turbo Tax, 2019 edition, Home and business on-line to my new computer.

Therefore I have to use the same license code.  You can check my e-mail; it's the same with both.

I used a new user name today.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

The online version of TurboTax is a separate program and cannot be used with a license code from a CD. 

@392VRP

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How to download Turbo Tax instead of using the CD

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

You can install Turbo Tax on 5 computers.

DAVE167

Basically what you are telling me is that one I have paid for my software on line I can never use it on another computer. I am having trouble with my original computer so I wanted to move what I have completed to my new computer.

I will not be using TurboTax in the future after they added an additional charge during my checkout and now I am stuck with an old computer that is taking 30 minutes to input one 1099.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies