Transfer Current Taxes From Online To CD

huggybaird

I started my 2020 taxes online.  I bought a TurboTax Deluxe CD from SamsClub and I want to use it.  I called support and they sent me a link on how to transfer my past taxes that are completed from online to desktop, but it doesn't say how to transfer current/open taxes that are not filed from online to desktop.  Is that even possible to do, or do I have to start over with my taxes all together?

Yes, very easy.  Should be easier than transferring 2019.  Download the .tax2020 data file.

You can move your Online file to the Desktop program and continue without paying for Online or needing to reenter your info.

To continue in the desktop version see this…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return .tax file is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW).

If you don't find the steps, I copied them.....

1. Sign in and open or continue your return.
  2. Select Tax Tools and then Tools from the left menu.
  3. In the Tools Center pop-up, select Save your 2020 return to your computer.
  4. The file will download with the name taxReturn.tax2020.
  5. (Optional) Locate the downloaded file and change the default filename to something more recognizable, for example JohnDoeTaxReturn.tax2020 (just make sure you don't change the filename extension to the right of the dot).