turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tfjason2

I received a 1099misc income for land damage. I did your instructions and it did not work. Help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

I received a 1099misc income for land damage. I did your instructions and it did not work. Help?

To report the income:

• Enter the 1099-Misc in the Other Common Income section (Enter "1099misc" in the Search Box and Select "Jump to 1099misc")
  • Indicate that it is a "Reimbursement for Damages", that it does not involve work like your main job, and that it did not involve an intent to make money, and is not a recurring payment (received in the past or expected in the future). 
  • The income will be reported on line 21 of your return.

To enter the expense:

• Go to Less Common Income, Miscellaneous Income and Other reportable income (enter "other reportable income" in the Search Box and Select "Jump to other reportable income")
  • Continue to the screen "Other Taxable Income". Enter the description as "Cost of Damages" and the amount as a negative number. These are NOT wages.

A corresponding negative amount will be entered, and line 21 will be zero. See the attached screenshot example (different descriptions, but still offsetting).

View solution in original post

8 Replies
ToddL

What instructions are you referring to? What "did not work?"
tfjason2

I followed the help instruction to move it to other common income.  First one I tried just ended up with me doubling the 1099 amount.  I then looked for that ans. again this time it was different and told me to enter a - number.  This also came up different.  I have trouble when I go into help, each time I get different instruction, but everything said this is not taxable.  What I need is instruction and where to enter the 1099misc income and not pay taxes and it was not income but a damage payment
ToddL

What version of TurboTax are you using? What box is the income reported in?

Before I provide instructions that will work, delete any copies of this 1099-MISC that are in your tax file - also any associated forms or worksheets that may have been created when you entered the 1099-MISC in the first place. Let me know when you have finished.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894474-how-do-i-delete-forms-in-turbotax-online">https://ttlc.int...>
tfjason2

removed 1099misc income and all support forms
ToddL

which box is the income in?
tfjason2

box 3
ToddL

So it worked out OK?
ToddL

To report the income:

• Enter the 1099-Misc in the Other Common Income section (Enter "1099misc" in the Search Box and Select "Jump to 1099misc")
  • Indicate that it is a "Reimbursement for Damages", that it does not involve work like your main job, and that it did not involve an intent to make money, and is not a recurring payment (received in the past or expected in the future). 
  • The income will be reported on line 21 of your return.

To enter the expense:

• Go to Less Common Income, Miscellaneous Income and Other reportable income (enter "other reportable income" in the Search Box and Select "Jump to other reportable income")
  • Continue to the screen "Other Taxable Income". Enter the description as "Cost of Damages" and the amount as a negative number. These are NOT wages.

A corresponding negative amount will be entered, and line 21 will be zero. See the attached screenshot example (different descriptions, but still offsetting).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies