turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, on my tax return I indicated that someone else would be claiming me, but when my mother (who also used turbotax) tried to claim me, it said she couldn't.

Because they said my social had already filed, but I indicated I will be claimed by someone else.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaR

Hello, on my tax return I indicated that someone else would be claiming me, but when my mother (who also used turbotax) tried to claim me, it said she couldn't.

To prevent fraudulent returns, the IRS will only accept each dependent's SSN once in their e-file system.  Because you filed first and used your SSN, no further e-files using that SSN will be accepted.  Your Mother will need to print, sign, and mail in her tax return to the IRS.  Her return will be accepted if she paper files.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaR

To prevent fraudulent returns, the IRS will only accept each dependent's SSN once in their e-file system.  Because you filed first and used your SSN, no further e-files using that SSN will be accepted.  Your Mother will need to print, sign, and mail in her tax return to the IRS.  Her return will be accepted if she paper files.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies