turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live with my girlfriend, we have child, can I claim head of household and she claim the child. We equally pay expenses

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I live with my girlfriend, we have child, can I claim head of household and she claim the child. We equally pay expenses

To file as Head of Household, you need to pay more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year AND have a qualifying person (e,g, your child) living with you in the home for more than half the year (except for temporary absences, such as school).

In your case, the person with the higher income should claim the child AND file as Head of Household. The other person files as Single.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

To file as Head of Household, you need to pay more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year AND have a qualifying person (e,g, your child) living with you in the home for more than half the year (except for temporary absences, such as school).

In your case, the person with the higher income should claim the child AND file as Head of Household. The other person files as Single.

Thank you, can you explain why?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

The higher standard deduction for Head of Household and the child exemption will result in a higher tax savings for the higher income earner because he/she is at a higher tax bracket.

Not trying to sound stupid here, but why can't 1 parent be head of household and one claim the child?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies